About The Event
Ready to move on to the next stage but need a bit of a hand?
Join us for 5 days preparation to get you ready for the RYA Yachtmaster Coastal exam. Successful completion of the exam results in the award of the RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Certificate of Competence.
The prep week is not an RYA practical course but is ideal for anyone wanting to take the RYA Yachtmaster Coastal exam - or wishing to refresh their skills and discover what you need to be capable of doing in order to go on to gain the Yachtmaster Offshore qualification. The week is practical and on the water and will give you time to rehearse elements of the Yachtmaster Coastal for the weekend assessment – it will also enable you to practice on the boat that you will be examined on.
To qualify as an RYA Yachtmaster Coastal you will need the following pre-exam experience:
- A Radio Operator's Qualification - a GMDSS Short Range Certificate (SRC) or higher grade of marine radio certificate
- A valid first aid certificate.
- Seatime - 800 miles logged within 10 years prior to examination, 30 days living on board, two days as skipper and 12 night hours*
*For holders of the Coastal Skipper Practical Course Completion Certificate, the seatime requirement is reduced to 400 miles, 20 days living on board, 12 night hours, two days as skipper.
Half of the qualifying seatime must have been gained in tidal waters.
To attain the RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Certificate of Competence you will need to take a two-day practical examination which is taken with an independent examiner (please click here for current exam fees). The examiner will test your sailing abilities to the full in areas including boat handling, man overboard, safety, meterology, adverse weather conditions, skipper ability, long passages* and "blind" navigation- to simulate a fog situation. Therefore, before you take the examination, it is wise to spend a few days practising on the water directly beforehand - and we cover this during our prep week. You should have a thorough understanding of theory to Yachtmaster level - click here to read about the Coastal Skipper & RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Theory course
*There is not time on the exam to sail a long passage but you will be tested on planning and navigation for this.
- Fully coded yacht with safety equipment
- Fully qualified RYA skipper
- All safety equipment
- Accommodation on board
- Diesel, water, electricity
- Full board food (dinner, 3 nights)
- Shower facilities on site in marina
- Transport to and from meeting points
- Alcoholic drinks and evening meals
- Mooring fees
- Departure taxes/customs entries per person
- Any clothing
- *Accommodation upgrades where available