Inshore Race Events
"I've really enjoyed sailing with GFS and have learnt so much - I never would have had the confidence to give racing a go if Sophie hadn't suggested it on the day skipper week, and now I think I'm hooked! It's been brilliant to have the opportunity to move around the boat learning the different positions and has also been wonderful to meet so many amazing women. I'm sure I'll be back at some point for some more racing or training." Nia, Hamble Winter Series, 2015
The UK quite rightly has a reputation for having some of the best race events in the world...even a non-sailor will probably have heard of Cowes Week!
But there is so much more than just Cowes Week - and Girls for Sail takes part in pretty much ALL the major races and regattas that take place along the south coast!
Whether you're a complete newbie to sailing but like the idea of a day-long intro to racing - or if your lifelong ambition is to experience round the cans racing in Cowes Week, the world's biggest sailing regatta (and the UK's fourth largest spectator event); we have LOTS of options!!
Join us for Dart Week and experience some of the best and most fun racing the south-west has to offer - or for the really big events like Cowes Week, we often enter more than one race boat, so whether you're new to racing or are an out-and-out competitor you can be sure to find the right crew to race alongside!
Many of our inshore events are suitable for complete beginners as we often include a day of training before the race starts - but we do usually suggest that you'll get more out of an event if you've spent a couple of days sailing with us first on one of our Beginner weekends.
UK Inshore Racing Options
- March-April: Warsash Spring Series (fantastic 'round the cans' style racing in the Solent)
- June: Dubarry Women's Open Keelboat Championship ("WOKC" - the only womens-only race regatta event - with a great party on the Saturday night!)
- June/July: JP Morgan Round the Island Race (the biggest one day regatta in the world!)
July: Taittinger Royal Solent Yacht Club Regatta (racing AND champagne!)
- August: Aberdeen Asset Management Cowes Week (the most famous race regatta in the world - established 1826 and a must-do for any sailor!)
- August: Port of Dartmouth Royal Regatta (beautiful scenery, great entertainment, brilliant racing...what more could you ask for?)
- October-November: Hamble Winter Series (get your thermals on and get out there for some brilliant round-the-cans racing!)
- JOG series inshore races: Yarmouth, Lymington (perfect for beginners too!)